1. Getting Started with the 15-bar Espresso Machine
i. Before Powering On
Before switching on and preparing your first espresso with your brand new 15-bar EspressoWorks Espresso Machine, make sure to give all the washable parts a rinse before use.
- Measuring Spoon & Tamper
- Lid of Electric Coffee Grinder
- 2 x Porcelain Cups
- Stainless Steel Heating Tray
- Single and Double Espresso Baskets
- Milk Frothing Cup
- Detachable 1.25L Water Tank
ii. Powering Up Your Machine
- Place your espresso machine on a flat and dry surface
- Ensure that the control dial is set to the center “●” dot. Do not plug in your machine to the power source yet. This will be done in Step 6.
- Remove the Portafilter if locked into the brew head
- Lift out the Water Tank and fill it with water up to the ‘MAX’ line and then place the Water Tank back in place in the espresso machine
- Ensure once again the control dial is set to the center “●” dot.
- Plug in your machine.
- Press the “ON/OFF” power button. The POWER light will illuminate a solid orange color once the machine has powered up. Once the machine has warmed up, the green “READY” light will illuminate.
- Place an empty cup under the brew head. You are now ready to start making your first espresso with the 15-bar EspressoWorks Espresso Machine.
2. Preparing Your First Espresso
- If desired, pre-warm the espresso cups by placing them on the heating tray on the top of the machine
- Insert your desired filter basket (Single for a single espresso, Double for a double espresso) into the portafilter
- Grind your beans and use the Measuring Scoop & Tamper to fill the portafilter basket with the correct measure of coffee. Tamp is it in firmly.
NOTE: Do not tamp it down too tight. This is will prevent proper water flow and as a result will negatively affect the taste
- Place the portafilter up into the espresso machine. Turn and lock it in place. Place a cup or two underneath.
- Turn the control dial to “ESPRESSO”. Once you have enough espresso in the cup, turn the dial back to the center position.
- Clean out the portafilter and go again!
NOTES ON COFFEE BREWING AND MILK FROTHING:
- When making espresso, ensure that the grind is suitable for making espresso. You can purchase pre-ground coffee, or grind it yourself. The grind should be fine, but not too fine or powdery. If the grind is too fine (feels like powder when rubbed between the fingers) the water will not flow properly and the espresso will not be optimal.
- You may notice that after brewing the coffee, the filter is wet. This is normal, and this is how we get that perfect crema.
- We recommend preparing your milk before removing the filter from the machine. This will allow some time to evaporate some of the residual water in the coffee grinds.
- Fill the stainless steel milk frothing cup ⅓ of the way with fresh, cold milk
- Direct the steam wand away from the drip tray so that the steam wand is easy to insert into the frothing cup. Hold the frothing cup at an angle so that the top of the steam wand sits just below the surface of the milk.
- Turn the dial on the machine to “STEAM”
- When the foam is at your desired level, turn the control dial back to the center dot.
- Pour the steamed froth into your espresso.
- Wash the steamer wand to avoid milk build up. Loosen the steam nozzle and wash it under running water. Clean the pipe with a cloth.
4. How to Clean my EspressoWorks 15-bar Espresso Machine
- Unplug your machine from the power source and ensure it properly cooled down
- Detach the steam wand plastic piece, remove the detachable water tank, remove the drip tray, remove the stainless steel heating tray
- Thoroughly wash each of these attachments - as well as the portafilter and filter baskets - and dry them.
- Give the outside of the machine a wipe down
- Once everything has dried, place them back where they were
NOTE: Do not use alcohol or solvent cleaner on the machine or any attachments
Deep Clean & Descaling
- Fill the with water and a household descaling agent of your choice to the MAX level
- Place the milk frothing cup under the built-in steamer and ensure the control dial on the machine to the “●” in the middle. Press the “ON/OFF” button once and wait while the machine heats up. The “POWER” light will illuminate Red.
- Once the “READY” indicator light illuminates Green, turn the control dial to “ESPRESSO” and lets enough water flow for 2 cups of coffee. Then turn the dial back to the center dot “●” and wait for 5 seconds.
- When the “READY” indicator light illuminates Green once again, turn the control dial to “STEAM” and wait for 2 minutes before turning the control dial back to the center “●” dot to stop the steaming.
- Press and hold the “ON/OFF” button for 3 seconds. Your machine should turn off and all the indicator lights should not be emitting any light. Wait as the descaling agent cleans your machine for 15 minutes.
- Restart your 15-bar EspressoWorks Espresso Machine, ensuring the control dial is on the center “●” dot, and once the “READY” indicator is green, turn the knob to “ESPRESSO” and let the machine flush out all the water and descaling agent. Turn the dial back to the center “●” position.
- Fill the Water Tank to the “MAX” line. Turn the dial to “ESPRESSO” and let all the water flush out. Repeat this step 3 times.
5. How to clean the Filter Baskets
After using the machine, allow it to cool down. Unlock the portafilter from the machine and empty out the used grinds into the sink. Rinse the portafilter and filter basket under the sink and dry well. If your filter baskets seem clogged, we suggest using a tiny needle every so often to help pop out any grinds that may get caught in the filter basket holes.
6. How to Use the EspressoWorks Coffee Grinder
- Carefully unpack your espresso machine and remove all packing material. Wipe the grinding chamber, blades with a damp lint-free cloth or sponge. WARNING: Blades are extremely sharp. Handle with care.
- Place the coffee grinder on a flat surface. Remove the lid.
- Pour coffee beans into the grinding chamber. Do not use more than 30g of coffee beans.
- Secure the lid into the motor base. Align the arrow with the “OFF” marking on the motor base.
- Connect the coffee grinder to the power supply.
- Turn the lid clockwise to the “ON” mark on the motor base. The coffee grinder will operate. Hold the lid at the “ON” position.
- If the lid is released, it will return to the “OFF” position and the coffee grinder will stop operating. Turn and hold the lid to the “ON” position if you want the coffee grinder to operate again.
- View the consistency of the coffee grounds from the transparent lid. Never remove the lid until the blades stop completely.
- Once the desired ground size has been obtained, disconnect the power cable from the power outlet.
- Remove the transparent lid and pour out the coffee ground.
Do not run the appliance continuously for more than 30 seconds. After a full 30 second cycle, allow the grinder to rest for another three minutes before using it again.
7. How to clean the EspressoWorks Electric Coffee Grinder
- Always switch off and unplug before cleaning.
- Never left the motor unit, power cable or plug get wet. Only the transparent lid can be immersed in water for cleaning.
- Clean the lid with water and mild detergent. The lid is not dishwasher-safe. Rinse and dry thoroughly
- Never immerse the monitor base in water for cleaning, or fill the grinder chamber with water for cleaning.
- Wipe the grinding chamber and blades with a damp cloth, then dry thoroughly. Handle blades and cutting plates with care because they are extremely sharp.